We are very proud to announce that this video of Giuliano’s Chocolate Custard with an Italian twist won the coveted Telly Award. The video was created by Caputo Creative for Safest Choice Pasteurized Eggs, a company for which Giuliano acts as spokesperson.
The recipe is a luscious chocolate dessert with Amaretti cookies that is a wonderful ending to the perfect Italian meal. The recipe is a favorite with our family and we sometimes teach it at our cooking school in Italy. It is a satisfying dessert that will keep for several days in the refrigerator.
Safest Choice Pasteurized Eggs has been generous and agreed to host a giveaway on our site. Please check it out, everyone who enters will receive a coupon for a free dozen eggs and we have a three tiered prize giveaway. You could win a: Cuisinart Ice Cream maker & 3 coupons for free eggs, or a Silpat Non-Stick Baking Mat, & (1) One Safest Choice spatula & 3 coupons for free eggs, or a White insulated grocery tote (w/ red circle P) filled with Safest Choice goodies; spatula, recipe cards. Everyone who enters the giveaway and writes “I give permission” in the comment field on that page, will receive a coupon to try one dozen Safest Choice Eggs for free.
To enter the giveaway click here: Giveaway
The only hard part in this recipe is waiting for it to cool. If we aren’t careful, we often will see smudge marks on the top where our youngest daughter has “checked” to see if it was ready yet. However, this is not just a children’s dessert, it is an elegant ending to an adult meal. The semisweet chocolate and the amaretti cookies make for a dish that is for a sophisticated palate. Although our youngest would correctly say that her palate has been educated enough to enjoy anything with dark chocolate.
CHOCOLATE CUSTARD WITH AN ITALIAN TWIST OF AMARETTI COOKIES
Chill for 3 hours
Prep Time: 20 minutes
- 4 cups Whole Milk
- 4 Safest Choice Pasteurized egg yolk (s)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 4 oz dry Amaretti cookies
- 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- Put the milk in a saucepan over medium heat. When the milk begins to steam when stirred, but before it comes to a boil, remove it from the heat.
- While the milk is heating, whip the egg yolks and the sugar until they form pale yellow ribbons. Add the flour and mix it in until it is completely incorporated into the mixture. Transfer the milk to a pitcher and pour it into the mixing bowl very slowly while running the mixer at a low speed. After about one third of the milk has been poured in, and you can feel the mixing bowl begin to warm up, you can pour the rest of the milk in at a faster rate. When all the milk has been mixed in, pour the mixture back into the saucepan and place it over medium low heat. Cook and stir with a whisk until the custard thickens, about 10 minutes, then remove it from the heat.
- Put the Amaretti cookies in a food processor and chop finely. Cut the chocolate into coarse shavings and add it to the Amaretti in the food processor. Pulse the processor a few more times until the chocolate is uniformly chopped in small pieces.
- Transfer the hot custard from the sauce pan to a mixing bowl and stir in the chocolate Amaretti mixture. The chocolate should melt and you should get a fairly smooth consistency. Pour the custard into individual goblets or dessert cups. Once they have cooled down to room temperature, cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2-3 hours before serving.